Boiler Repairs

Carbon Monoxide Detector alarms

Carbon Monoxide Alarm

Carbon Monoxide Detector alarms – keep your family safe.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, poisonous gas produced by incomplete burning of carbon-based fuels, including gas, oil, wood and coal. Carbon-based fuels are safe to use. It is only when the fuel does not burn properly that excess CO is produced, which is poisonous. When CO enters the body, it prevents the blood from bringing oxygen to cells, tissues, and organs.

You can’t see it, taste it or smell it but CO can kill quickly without warning. According to the HSE statistics every year around 7 people die from CO poisoning caused by gas appliances and flues that have not been properly installed, maintained or that are poorly ventilated. Levels that do not kill can cause serious harm to health if breathed in over a long period. In extreme cases paralysis and brain damage can be caused as a result of prolonged exposure to CO. Increasing public understanding of the risks of CO poisoning and taking sensible precautions could dramatically reduce this risk.

There are signs that you can look out for which indicate incomplete combustion is occurring and may result in the production of CO:

yellow or orange rather than blue flames (except fuel effect fires or flueless appliances which display this colour flame) soot or yellow/brown staining around or on appliances pilot lights that frequently blow out, increased condensation inside window.

There are a number of simple steps that gas consumers can take to keep themselves safe.

Carbon monoxide can be produced any combustion appliance, including those that burn fossil fuels e.g. oil, wood and coal. If you have one of these appliances you should make sure that it is serviced and maintained by a competent person and the chimney is regularly swept.

Why buy a carbon monoxide alarm? Read what the Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! campaign has to say: “Carbon Monoxide is a highly poisonous gas that has no colour, taste or smell, It can be produced by any appliances burning gas, wood, oil or coal. Poisoning by Carbon Monoxide can be fatal or cause lasting health damage.

Some 20 million households in the UK don’t have an audible Carbon Monoxide alarm or don’t have their appliances checked regularly enough – leaving them under-protected and at risk of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. “Helpful advice about where to install a CO detector in your home can be found here.

Source: Buy carbon monoxide detector alarms – keep your family safe.

If I Smell Gas or Suspect a Gas Leak

Gas Leak

Gas Leak

If you think there is a gas leak in your home or workplace, below are the steps you should follow in case of this emergency situation.


The first step you should take if you smell gas (often a rotten egg smell) and suspect a gas leak is switch off the meter at the Emergency Control Valve (ECV).

Emergency Control Valve (ECV)
This is a safety mechanism on a gas service pipe connecting a gas meter to the gas mains. Every gas pipe installation and meter should have one.

The ECV is situated where the gas network or gas transporters pipe meets the gas meter. Its purpose is to control the flow of gas where it should be switched off in the event of an emergency / gas escape, or where there is no gas meter installation already in place.

In the photo is an example of a meter-less gas connection pipe, and the ECV is the red-coloured lever.

We would always recommend that you know where your meter is located, ensure it’s easily accessible and know how to access the ECV.


You will also want to check all the gas appliances in the property to make sure they are all switched off. Although your incoming gas supply has been switched off at the ECV there will still be an amount of gas within the internal pipework to the appliances.


The next step is to ventilate the property by opening as many doors and windows as possible – this will help release any leaking gas and draw some fresh air through.

During this time it is important that you avoid using any electrical devices, in case of sparks which could ignite the leaked gas, causing an explosion.

Some devices/appliances people often overlook are the ones that are connected to a timer, such as your central heating boiler which may try and ignite until it senses that the gas supply is switched off. Or, devices that are operated externally such as an electronic doorbell.

Obviously, any naked flames must be avoided at all costs – there must be no smoking within the vicinity.


Once you have secured the property as best as you can, you should call the emergency helpline: 0800 002 001 (Northern Ireland Only)

But remember not to use the landline inside the property; call from a mobile phone at a safe distance away from the property, or alternatively use a neighbour’s phone or a public phone box.

Calls to this number are free of charge and help is at hand 24/7. Once you have called the helpline, you must ensure there is someone around for the emergency engineers to gain access to the property.




Boiler Servicing Commercial Equipment

Boiler Servicing Commercial equpment at Heating Controls & Devices, we have our own dedicated, experienced burner and combustion engineer that carry out all aspects of boiler servicing, maintenance and breakdowns. We repair to all popular makes & models of Gas & Oil fired commercial burner & combustion appliances.  Heating Controls & Devices have built up a decade of experience and knowledge in Domestic, Commercial Boiler maintenance and have a strong reputation for getting things done quickly, efficiently and effectively.

Boiler servicing can save you money on fuel, but on the other hand cost you too, both on fuel consumption and on the unit breaking down when you least expect it.


boiler servicing commercial in a church

Boiler Servicing commercial in a Church

Service Enquiry Form

Service Enquiry Form Grant Combi held in Hands

You can use the Service Enquiry Form to enquire about our services or book a service. By using the Service Enquiry Form we shall get back to you as soon as possible with the information.

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)


Your Message

I are want to know more about your Gas Servicing
I are want to know more about your to know about your Oil Servicing
I want to know more about your Gas Safety/Landlords Checks
I want to know more about your Gas or Oil Commercial Work

I would like to book a Breakdown or Service Please contact me on
Contact Telephone Number

Information For Landlords


Landlords have specific legal responsibilities to their tenants when it comes to gas safety

Understanding the law for rental accommodation

As a landlord, you are responsible for the safety of your tenants. Landlords’ duties apply to a wide range of accommodation, occupied under a lease or licence, which includes, but not exclusively:

  • residential premises provided for rent by local authorities, housing associations, private sector landlords, housing co-operatives, hostels
  • rooms let in bed-sit accommodation, private households, bed and breakfast accommodation and hotels
  • rented holiday accommodation such as chalets, cottages, flats, caravans and narrow boats on inland waterways.

The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 deal with landlords’ duties to make sure gas appliances, fittings and flues provided for tenants are safe.

Landlord’s responsibilities

If you let a property equipped with gas appliances you have three main responsibilities:

  • Maintenance: pipework, appliances and flues must be maintained in a safe condition. Gas appliances should be serviced in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. If these are not available it is recommended that they are serviced annually unless advised otherwise by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
  • Gas safety checks: a 12 monthly gas safety check must be carried out on every gas appliance/flue.  A gas safety check will make sure gas fittings and appliances are safe to use.
  • Record: a record of the annual gas safety check must be provided to your tenant within 28 days of the check being completed or to new tenants before they move in. Landlords must keep copies of the gas safety record for two years.

All installation, maintenance and safety checks need to be carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

If a tenant has their own gas appliance that you have not provided, then you are responsible for the maintenance of the gas pipework but not for the actual appliance.

You should also make sure your tenants know where to turn off the gas and what to do in the event of a gas emergency.

What if my tenant won’t allow me access to the property?

The contract you draw up with the tenant should allow you access for any maintenance or safety check work to be carried out. You have to take ‘all reasonable steps’ to ensure this work is carried out, and this may involve giving written notice to a tenant requesting access, and explaining the reason. Keep a record of any action, in case a tenant refuses access and you have to demonstrate what steps have been taken.

Visit the HSE website for more information about landlords’ responsibility for gas safety.

What if I’m only renting my property for a short period of time?

Even if a property is only rented for a short period of time, perhaps only a week as a holiday home, you are still a landlord and have specific duties for gas safety. For information on landlords’ gas safety responsibilities which apply to short term lets, download our factsheet.

Carbon Monoxide Information For Students

Students - Rental - Landlords - Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas. Don’t mistake the symptoms for a hangover.

So you’ve moved into your new pad. You’ve checked out your nearest pub and you’ve got your local takeaway on speed dial. Sorted. But have you thought about gas safety in your accommodation? Surely it’s all fine, right?

By law, your landlord has to make sure that the gas appliances supplied in your rented accommodation are safe for you to use. As a student, gas safety may not be your top priority, but knowing your rights when you rent could save your life. Poorly serviced, badly fitted or faulty gas appliances could put you at risk from gas leaks, fire, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas which can kill quickly with no warning. Its symptoms include headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness. They might not just be the signs of a good night out!

Fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm to alert you if you’re in danger – you can buy a battery operated one at any DIY store and take it with you to every student property you live in.

Reading students alerted to deadly gas

In October 2014, fire crews were called out to a potentially serious gas leak at a student house in the Reading University area. The students were showing flu-like symptoms and feeling drowsy as a result of the leak and were lucky to escape unharmed thanks to their carbon monoxide (CO) alarm alerting them. A local fireman at the scene said: “Our advice to students would be to make sure their alarms are regularly tested and to urge their landlords to have their boilers checked and serviced on a routine basis.” Had it not been for a functioning CO alarm in the property, these students could have lost their lives.

Landlord’s responsibilities

To be safe and legal your landlord must:

  • Carry out an annual gas safety check and regular service on gas appliances in your home including gas boilers, cookers, hobs and gas fires. These checks must be carried out using a Gas Safe registered engineer.
  • Provide you with a landlord’s gas safety record (also known as a certificate) for the gas appliances.  Ask for a copy of this before you move in or after the check has been carried out. By law, a safety check must be done every year.

Remember to always:

  • Check the ID card of any gas engineer that comes to do work in your home.
  • Cooperate with your landlord and let a Gas Safe registered engineer in when a gas safety check or service has to be done.

Make sure you know your rights when you rent. Download our student factsheet for all the information you need to keep safe in your accommodation.

Remember – if your landlord refuses to service and safety check the gas appliances they have provided they are breaking the law. You can complain to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) via the HSE website.

If you smell gas, or think there might be a gas leak, call the gas emergency number for your area.

For free leaflets and posters to help raise awareness of gas safety at your university contact email

Tenants Make sure your Landlord is complying with the law


Tenants Make sure your landlord is complying with the law

Your landlord has specific legal responsibilities to tenants when it comes to gas safety. Even if a property is only rented for a short time, like holiday accommodation, the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations require your landlord to:

  • Maintain pipework, appliances and flues provided for your use in a safe condition.
  • Carry out a 12 monthly gas safety check on each gas appliance/flue.  A gas safety check will make sure gas fittings and appliances are safe to use.
  • Provide you with a record of the annual gas safety check within 28 days of the check being completed or if you’re a new tenant before you move in. If a property or room is hired out for less than 28 days at a time, it is also permissible for your landlord to display a copy of the current Landlords Gas Safety Record in a prominent position within the property.

For more information on what to expect aas a tenant from your landlord if you rent a room or holiday accommodation for a short period of time download our short term lets factsheet.

What is a gas safety check?

Faulty gas appliances and fittings and blocked flues can put you at risk of gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. A gas safety check will make sure gas fittings and appliances are safe to use. These checks include;

  • Checking the flue or chimney to make sure the products of combustion (fumes) are being safely removed to outside.
  • Checking there is an adequate supply of fresh air so the gas burns properly.
  • Checking the appliance is burning the gas properly.
  • Checking all safety devices are working properly and shutting the appliance off if a fault occurs.

If a Gas Safe registered engineer visits you to safety check your appliances, it is in the interests of your safety to let them into the property. Always ask to see their Gas Safe Register ID card before letting them in.

What is a gas safety record?

If you the tenant are renting a property from a private landlord, from the council, a housing association or any other landlord, ask for a copy of the gas safety record.

When a Gas Safe registered engineer does a gas safety check in your home, using a form they will write down details of the checks that they carried out. This form is a gas safety record. It will list each of the appliances and other gas fittings they checked.

Your landlord must give you a record of the annual gas safety check within 28 days of the check being completed or if you’re a new tenant before you move in.

What if I own the gas appliances in my rented property?

If you the tenant own the gas appliances in your rented property, your landlord is not responsible for getting them safety checked, you are. But, your landlord may still be responsible for the maintenance of the gas pipe work and any chimney or flue that serves your appliances. In which case, you and your landlord should arrange the gas safety check together.


What to do if you think your landlord isn’t gas safe

If you do not have a copy of the current record for your property, you are entitled to ask your landlord for a copy. If your landlord refuses, you can complain to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) via the HSE website. Failure to follow gas safety requirements is a criminal offence and the HSE can issue a formal caution and may prosecute your landlord.

Gas emergencies in a rented property

Make sure you know what to do in a gas emergency. Knowing the signs of danger andcarbon monoxide poisoning could save your life.

Ask your landlord to show you how to turn off the gas supply if there is a gas leak. If you smell gas, call the 24 hour emergency gas service for your area:

  • Great Britain: 0800 111 999

  • Guernsey: 01481 749000

  • Isle of Man: 01624 644 444

  • Northern Ireland: 0800 002 001

Renting – A landlord’s gas safety duties


Renting – A landlord’s gas safety duties – what you should know

Whether you are a landlord or a tenant renting, make sure you understand the laws about gas safety.

Gas safety for landlords

Running a property can be a stressful business. But are you aware of your legal gas safety duties as a landlord? Every year, landlords are conned by illegal gas workers who perform poor gas work, causing serious illness and death of tenants. And if it’s your property, it’s your responsibility. Find out what your gas safety duties are.

Gas safety for tenants: have you asked to see your landlord’s gas safety record?

Being a tenant means there’s always a landlord responsible for the safety of the gas appliances. But when was the last time you saw your landlord’s gas safety record? If your gas appliances have not been safety checked within the last year, you could be in danger of carbon monoxide poisoning.  Find out whether your property is gas safe now.

Gas safety for students

Students, be aware of your rights! Student accommodation can be great fun, but to avoid gas dangers that could kill you, ask to see your landlord’s current gas safety record. By law, your landlord must provide you with a copy of their landlord’s gas safety record to ensure the safety of you and your housemates. The great news is it won’t cost you a penny and it could save your life! Find out about your gas safety rights here.

Commercial Gas Repairs -Freestanding or Wall Hung


Commercial Gas Repairs

Heating Controls have provided commercial gas repairs for countless customers across the Belfast region and have built up a solid reputation for quality and good service.

Whether your boiler is situated in a workshop, factory, office kitchen or large industrial plant, our gas engineers have the expertise to resolve the problem quickly.

From the moment you speak to us on the phone to the time we visit the site you will know you have chosen a reliable and competent company. Our Gas Safe engineers are qualified and experienced in a wide range of specialist areas and we have dealt with all makes and models of gas boilers.

Larger premises such as warehouses, retail outlets, halls and sports venues usually have high heating bills due to the additional ventilation that is required in these buildings. We can help you to find a more cost effective and efficient industrial boiler, so please speak to us if you are looking to reduce your costs.

Heating Controls & Devices can provide you with a Commercial Gas safety report detailing exactly what your gas installation/system needs to bring it up to current standards thus protecting your business, premises and staff.


Commercial Gas Repairs

Landlords Certificates

If you are a landlord, it is your responsibility to ensure that all boilers, flues and piping in your renting property are properly maintained and serviced. At Heating Controls & Devices we provide Landlord Gas Safety Certificates that give your tenants peace of mind that you and your property complying with the latest gas legislation.

The Gas Safety Regulations 1998 specifies that landlords have a duty of care to ensure that all gas boilers and other appliances are safe and functional. If your yearly gas safety check is due or almost ready for renewal, our engineers would be happy to carry out the checks for you. All of our gas safe engineers have years of experience dealing with domestic and commercial gas boilers including appliances and pipework.

It is also the responsibility of the landlord to ensure that an annual gas safety check takes place every 12 months by a Gas Safe Engineer. Records of these checks must be kept which is where our Safety Certificates apply. When we have successfully carried out your yearly boiler service and checks we will issue you with a dated certificate that you can give a copy to your tenants, before they move in. It is important to keep records of these checks for 2 years minimum and issue copies to tenants within 28 days of yearly services.

We offer a range of services from Gas & Oil boiler repairs right through to industrial boiler installation and advice. If your Landlord Gas Safety Certificate is up for renewal give us a call for advice.